Thursday, December 04, 2008

You Choose Series by Capstone Press

Remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books? Capstone Press has a similar series called You Choose. RL grades 3-4/IL grades 3-7 According to their catalog this is how Capstone describes the series - "...interactive history books! Everything in these books happened to real people. And YOU CHOOSE the path you take and what you do next. Readers will explore multiple perspectives and learn for themselves the value of seeing history from many points of view."

This week I read Mexican Immigrants in America by Rachael Hanel. This book is one of the new releases in the series. While the title is not very inspiring, the book was great. Just like the Choose Your Own Adventure books, you get to choose what you want to do at certain points in the story. Unlike the CYOA books, the YOU CHOOSE books deal with historical events and choices real people have made. I really expected to be less than awed by Mexican Immigrants in America, but after I started reading I couldn't put it down. I even went back and read some of the alternate choices to see what would happen. Color pictures sprinkled throughout the book add to the story. Some of the titles in this series that I plan to purchase for my middle school library are The Titanic by Bob Temple, Westward Expansion and The Attach on Pearl Harbor by Allison Lassieut. I really think our boys will enjoy these once I "book talk" them to get the first ones circulating.
Capstone Press http://www.capstonepress.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.